I am an Advanced Accredited Practicing Dietitian and Credentialled Diabetes Educator with more than 20 years experience providing individualised nutrition and diabetes education.
I work with individuals with type 1 diabetes, women with gestational diabetes, women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and those following or wanting to adopt a plant-based (vegetarian or vegan) diet. I currently offer consultations via telehealth (videoconference or telephone).
Whether you are newly-diagnosed or have had diabetes for a while and need an update, I will work closely with you and your endocrinologist and/or GP to help you in managing your diabetes. In addition to my professional experience, I have personally lived with type 1 diabetes since the age of 10, providing me with a real understanding of the issues faced in the day to day management of diabetes. I can help you with the following:
- Diabetes management education when you are newly-diagnosed
- Dietary management of diabetes
- Exercise and other lifestyle factors
- Self blood glucose monitoring
- Insulin administration
- Insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring (CGM)
POLYCYSTIC OVARY SYNDROME (PCOS)
A healthy lifestyle is an essential part of managing PCOS and is recommended as the first step in treatment. I have extensive experience and understanding of the dietary and lifestyle management of PCOS. This was the topic of my PhD research, I am author of The Low GI Diet for PCOS, a guest lecturer on PCOS at the University of Sydney and a member of the lifestyle Guideline Development Group for the PCOS International Evidence-Based Guidelines. If you have PCOS, I can help you with:
- Understanding the important role lifestyle changes play in the management of PCOS.
- Understanding insulin resistance and its role in PCOS.
- Dietary education and advice for PCOS.
- Understanding the role of exercise and other lifestyle factors
- Pre-conception and pregnancy nutrition and lifestyle management.
- Reducing the health risks (including risk of diabetes) associated with PCOS.
I follow a whole-food plant-based diet myself and am passionate about the benefits of plant-based diets for health, animal welfare and the planet. Whether you are a long-term vegan/vegetarian or new to plant-based eating, and whether for health, ethical or environmental reasons, I can help you with:
- Understanding the benefits of eating a whole-food plant-based diet.
- Making the transition to a plant-based diet.
- Ensuring you are meeting your nutritional needs on a plant-based diet.
- Providing meal and recipe ideas.
- Preventing, managing and reversing chronic diseases with a plant-based diet, particularly diabetes and PCOS.
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
All appointments are currently available by telephone or videoconference.
Current appointment days and times are:
Wednesday: 7:30am to 4:30pm (Telephone or videoconference)
Thursday: 7:30am to 4.30pm (Telephone or videoconference)
Friday: 7:30am to 11.30am (Telephone only)
Saturday: 7:30am to 4:00pm (Telephone or videoconference)
If you have any questions before booking an appointment, including how appointments work, fees and rebates, please refer to our appointment FAQs.
Please note that I am currently only seeing new clients with type 1 diabetes, gestational diabetes, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and those wanting advice on plant-based nutrition (vegetarian or vegan diets) for diabetes or PCOS. If you are seeking help for other reasons, I recommend my colleagues at Northside Nutrition and Dietetics, who have expertise in other areas of nutrition.